What does a Mental Crisis mean? How does one have a Mental Crisis? How does that effect the person having one? Is there anyway to prevent a Mental Crisis? I will answer these questions. Keep in mind I'm just a mother. I'm not an expert. Also I believe in my case with my daughter no one is. I will get to that later in the series.
A Mental Crisis is the same as a medical crisis. A patient is in critical condition. Without prevention the patient will not survive. What exactly does that mean? A person who is going through a Mental Crisis no longer has value for life. This could be a matter of months, days or hours. In our case it was months.
A lot of things can prevent a Mental Crisis. In a mentally ill person it might not be preventable. Certainly in the circumstances we found ourselves it was not.
Leah found herself in a position in the middle of Covid quarantine. She just came out of her fourth hospital stay from an ongoing medical problem. She is entering that teenage time that we all love. Also having her services completely cut off or limited during quarantine.
The fact that our family found ourselves on the other side we are extremely blessed. Other families were not as blessed. The Covid restrictions were more deadly to us than actual Covid. I don't say this lightly. I say the truth. While we tend to look at a medical thing like Covid. People don't realize that mental illness is a silent killer. It is silent for a lot of reasons. We don't speak of it. Did you know the suicide rate was higher than Covid deaths? Another silence. When you are not mentally well you can have moments of deep dark thoughts. Impulsiveness takes over. Cognitive thought no longer exists. Deadly consequences are the result. Many times you hear people talk about someone they lost. "I just talked to them an hour ago" "They seemed happy"
Leah during this time fluttered in and out of deep darkness. Knowing the state she was in she was never alone. This was a tiring effort. Also we desperately kept at looking for a way to save her from the darkness. This Journey continues with Therapy.
No comments:
Post a Comment