Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Light on Leah's light

   Leah has ADHD. She also has sensory processing issues. We, however, were missing a key. Communication. We can't communicate to this child. We tried numerous ways to try to get her to understand something. It is to no progress. It is very frustrating to say the least. She is tired of trying to understand what we want. In her own way she was trying to communicate to us with bad behavior. We tried to discipline the bad behavior but again the communication was not getting through.
  I had been to the Neuropsychologist several times in the past. We decided to evaluate her for a proper diagnosis. Of course the ADHD, and sensory processing is apparent. The thing that we were looking for was the learning portion of it. What process is getting mixed up. We figured out that non-verbally Leah's language is great. She can identify pictures tell you what they are. She can put things in categories. However, when doing the verbal portion she was not able to perform the same tasks. We ask her the same questions without the pictures. Even though it was the same sequence of problem solving she was unable to answer. She came up with different things to say. She said she was all done doing the testing. It was very difficult for her. There was our problem. That was the key we were missing.
  Here is the puzzler that got us twisted up. Leah verbally is fine she can talk up a storm. Tell you exactly how she is feeling. Tell you what she wants. We noticed she has trouble finding labels for things. Where as  Sharon in all aspects, Leah just has verbal receptive problems. We know what it is like to have a kiddo that doesn't communicate very well. That wasn't Leah. So we got mixed up in the process too. She is having trouble with communicating just in a different aspect.
  So full circle here. You have a kid who has impulse control issues that also has trouble taking verbal cues. All we have been giving her is verbal cues. We have been wondering why we are so frustrated. Why does it seem like she doesn't get it. It is because she doesn't get it. Now I know where I'm going. I know what we can do from here. Leah is very intelligent. She has different needs than Sharon. Leah is also somebody who is very special in her own way. Even today a downs syndrome child came up to Leah today. She said hi to Leah, then said "Hug" and of course Leah never denies anyone a hug and they hugged. The mother was apologetic. I said we were fine with hugs. I love, love that about Leah. I love her happiness at just about anything. I wouldn't change her for the world. I want to help her be able to understand me better. I want to keep her safe. After all I'm a mother and that is what all mothers want.
  I'm just diving into the things that Leah needs. Much like the start of where Sharon was about three years ago I'm wet behind the ears. I am getting to know some things about her. Sharon and Leah are labeled as such and such. It just not define them. However, it helps us find their strengths to navigate this world better. I mean strengths. I am not going to go through their life saying they can't do this because of their label. They will not be able to do certain things that is just a fact. I will always be there to say you can do this and do it well.

No comments:

Post a Comment