Sunday, May 12, 2013

Loving Them is easy

      Sharon in all reality was my first experience with autism. And she fascinated me there was no question. When I had no clue what I was dealing with it was frustrating. I didn't speak her language nor did she speak mine. Although, I had incentive to learn more about autism I had an isolation. Sharon was just Sharon. She was the only autistic person I knew. She was unique and by all means is still. However, I met a lovely red headed boy and his mother whom changed my perspective.
      Sometimes you just feel isolated when you are dealing with a special needs child. Every one around you has typical children. Having typical problems and mine is doing her thing. So when I met this young boy and his mother having the same issues it was refreshing to say the least. And the lovely little boy was so much like Sharon right away. I instantly fell in love with him. He very much had his routine. He, like Sharon had a different way to communicate his frustration. And he liked tickles just like Sharon. His smile and laugh lights the room. This is when I knew I needed to learn more about autism. I wanted to met more autistic people.
    Being able to talk to somebody who get it is invaluable. Autism was our common ground but being friends was easy. I loved going over there seeing our children play together. And it was fun when we forgot that we really should take them both out in public. But we always joked. It made it easier when we were together. Even though they are in a different part of the country I still get to keep up with them. I get to hear about how well he is doing. I get to see his smiling face. What a wonderful family I just adore them.
  The schedule is brutal. After I get done scheduling my life I can't even think about social time or talking to some one I absolutely adore. But these are sacrifices we make. Eventually I will have a social life again. I will get to actually talk for more than two seconds to my friend. Whom I didn't think that I needed. But I did. In the end it was easy to love the family who was in essence yours.

1 comment:

  1. Friends are such a gift, and miles of separation doesn't affect a true friendship. I'll bet the other family feels that same way about the Wolfmeyers: easy to love.

    ReplyDelete