Sunday, August 16, 2015

Out of choices

 Sometimes you have choices when it comes to your medical care. Sometimes you can do natural things to help. Anybody knows that is probably the best way to handle it. Other times you need to use medication. I have to use both. I have supplements that I take that do help. However, medication is necessary for many of the problems that I do have. The other thing I have to deal with is surgery. I have had several knee surgeries. I have always been given choices by the doctor. I could either get shots 4 times a year that is the max. I could have a surgery that will give me a couple of years before I am back. The last couple of times I have come in they offered  a full replacement or even a particle. Particle was off the table this time. I was recently diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. It effects the effectiveness of a particle. A lot of RA patients do not fair well with particles. The doctor will not offer it to an RA patient.
  So I have the shots, temporary surgery or full replacement. Plenty of things to choose from had I didn't have RA. RA is an immune disorder where inflammation in your body attacks the joints. Inflammation puts pressure on joints and hurts anyway. With RA it actually is hurting you. It is painful. The only way to prevent damage to your joints is to prevent inflammation. The shots, temporary surgery I will still have ongoing inflammation. They are no longer an option. I am young to have a joint replacement but it is my only option. I wanted to wait but it isn't something that I would be waiting long for. I would still have to have my knee replaced twice. At this point there is no reason to wait. I will have my knee replaced soon.
   When you are in my position medically it is not easy.  I would love to not have to take pills. I would love to not be in pain every day. It is not the reality for me. If it is a reality for someone else I am happy for them. I am at peace with the fact that I have to deal with these issues. I have over the years been smarter at what I eat. I have been smarter at not pushing my body. I have gotten to a better weight for my body. I stay in shape. Living well does not take away the reality of my situation. Makes it better, of course, it is not going to take away my problems. If I had the mindset that it did I would be pretty frustrated. I remember expecting it to go away in my youth. It was frustrating and made me angry. It no longer has value for me to feel that way.
    Do I ever wake up in the morning depressed? Yes I do. I wake up in pain every morning. Sometimes it gets really bad when I have a migraine on top of it. The thing is I do not have time to stay in that position for long. I do not have time to get bogged down with what is wrong with me. I have two kids that need a lot of help too. It is not a luxury I can afford. What I do is start thinking of things that are promised. I dive into scripture and get my mind straight. It is a struggle to consistently climb a mountain. It is something that He has equipped me to do. If you have a struggle He will equip you. It is up to you to keep your footing.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, diving into Scripture and getting our minds straight is exactly what He wants us to do. And one day our struggles will be over and we will see His blessed face and feel no pain! (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete