Friday, September 12, 2014

Connecting with Sharon

     Our lives are spent trying to make a connection. We try to connect with our parents. We try to connect with our friends. Eventually we try to make a connection with a spouse. As parents you try to connect with the children. All of this is the desire put in us to connect with God the Father. What if that ability to make the connection was impaired? Believe me the desire is still there but what happens?
     It makes things very difficult. Anytime you try to do something and you're unsuccessful it is frustrating. This is something that was made in all of us. When a person has that inability it feels as if they do not have the desire. I am going to tell you something very important. They have the same desire as you. What comes as a natural reaction to most takes careful taught for others. It takes patience. The walls that we have built needs to shed. This can be very difficult for people. It is hard work. Look on the other side of that at the person who wants to connect. It is nearly impossible but they climb that wall. Their careful slow crawl up that wall prompts us to work all the more.
    This is my observation. I have had issues communicating with Sharon. I have always been able to connect with her. She has always felt connected with me.  I have seen her struggle to connect with her father, sister and others. It is difficult. She is very uniquely gifted at changing based on her "co-connector" (I'm going to patent that). What works for me to connect with Sharon does not work for my husband. It does not work for the therapists. Vice Versa, I would love to have the ability to have Sharon jump up when I asked her. My husband and one therapist can do that. She doesn't want them close so she will do what they ask. She wants me close ergo, I don't get the most cooperative Sharon.
     I get all of Sharon. She gives me all of her anger, mad, happiness and love. She has for seven years now. It was I who could stop a 45 cry with a simple song. Like a light switch she would calm down.  I was the one that she goes to when she is sick, uncertain and sad. It took me while to figure out that I was blessed with this connection with Sharon. It is hard when she was two and I couldn't put her down when she had a cold. It was hard when I have to go somewhere and she looks at me like I'm tearing her heart out.  There are the times when she is overjoyed to see me. She gives me her best hugs and asks me to cuddle. There is not one minute that I take that for granted. This is something she can't do with anyone else. It can be overwhelming to think I'm the one she trusts with everything. I work very hard to earn and keep that trust.
     In this trust I have to find a way to draw her away from me. As every other child learns to do naturally, she again has to be taught. She has to be taught to let Mama go and do things on her own. It is very hard for a parent to say, "It's okay you don't need Mama.". It is the truth. She very much still thinks she needs me for things that she can do herself. It does not come natural to the parent to actually push the child away. It is important that this process happens. Luckily for me I want to push her right to Christ. She can depend on Christ when she does not have it in her. When she says I can't I can say God can.
     It is Sharon's 7th Birthday. She has made a lot of progress in a short amount of time. I'm proud of my little girl. She works very hard to be successful. She has touched so many people with her addicting joy. She enjoys life more than anyone I know(except her sister). It is a toss up who loves life more her or her sister.
She may not connect with someone right away. When she does it is truly a blessing to the co-connector. It has been said "There is nothing like a Sharon hug." I have to agree. There is nothing more honest and raw. She gives her all in her hugs. In that moment you are connected to Sharon.
       Happy Birthday my sweet Darling.

No comments:

Post a Comment