Friday, April 19, 2013

April is Austim Awareness

This is Sharon. She is Autistic. Doesn't look like it does it? Funny thing about Autism with every child it is different because every child is different. She is a very happy girl as you can see. She gets frustrated. Like every other autistic child she can't communicate like a typical person. And a typical person has a hard time understanding their way of communicating. By all means Sharon communicates. Sometimes it is hard to understand what she wants. And because of this we have all types of behaviors that come out. This is only part it.
     We as humans really just need to be better at communicating in general. We are quite bad at it. We tend to complain about a person rather than talking to directing to person and getting the situation resolved. We get angry at a person don't tell them why. And expect things to change. Communication is not just about what words come out of your mouth. You can say a lot by your actions. I have learned this by having an autistic child and her behavior. I know when she is doing a certain thing she needs something. Or what does she need by what she is not doing? It is all very complicated. But the short of it is that I learned a lot about communication when autism came around. I learned one thing about it. I horrifically horrible at it.
   I have become better as time has gone on. However, there are times that I don't know what she wants. I also still don't communicate properly with others the way I want. I try but still fall short. But God has given me the grace to want to keep working on that. To meet Sharon half way. And while I'm doing that I can learn to communicate and understand people better. I try in the state am in to recognize my actions as well as my words. And what that is communicating. By all means I think I am still bad it. But at least now I know that I am. After all that is one of the reasons Sharon was probably given to me.

1 comment:

  1. Meeting someone halfway in the communication process can be such a challenge sometimes. Especially when pride and behaviorial issues get in the way. Our actions and words are not always matching and this is just one of the many reasons we need the grace of God. Thank you for encouraging and challengeing us all to not give up but to see it in light of what it really is....a gift from God.

    ReplyDelete