Dear Special Needs parents,
Are you like me? Are you knee deep in paperwork? Did you start getting an on slot of paperwork and think what purpose will this serve? What will it gain my child if I fill this or that out? What is the best for my child? I have ask these questions myself. Most of the time it wasn't self motivated pressure that caused me to fill them out. Most of the time an event happened where I had not a choice but to start pen to paper. In that moment it wasn't a hardship but a hope that I could make it better for them. If I could make it better, I shall. Soon as I did this a couple of times when it was panic driven. I started seeing the results of paths that I lad forth. Now I do not wait until panic sets in. I just fill the paperwork out. Still with a sense of loathing. However, the hope that it provides lurks ever so slightly enough for me to be able to finish the tasks.
The problem for me waiting for panic to set in is paperwork takes time to process. It isn't a instant fix. Things have to be assembled. In the meantime you are one desperate parent. Desperation is not a good place to be as a special needs parent. We are already on the verge of it anyway. It is best to have paperwork prepared and sent in. I had to learn this the hard way. Certainly I can help others not. If your child needs help with something; go get it. It will be a pain for you by all means. It will be time consuming and trying to find the avenue to get it can be very frustrating. I have chased some things for a year and half. An all consuming chase. In the end it was well worth it. The amount of effort had blossomed into growth for my child. I spent two years trying to get mental health services for my other child. I wasted not a second for the effort. She has grown and hope springs like wildflowers in spring.
I realized I am far more determined(stubborn) then most. I realize that when I set my mind on something I will not stop. I realize that a lot of people are not like that. It is hard to be like that. One can get very frustrated by the process. By the failure rather than the hope of success and chose to turn around. I say take a break, sit and regroup. I have done that many times. Take a different path but take it in the same direction. I take things by inches. If I fail in one area but gained access to something that might lead me to something else I succeeded there. I have failed many times to get certain things. I kept pushing. I kept gaining. It is the only way I know how. My children can't do things right now. So I must get them access to be able to give them the skills to learn how. Sometimes we do not have all the answers for them. It is hard is it not? As parents to say they need more than me. They need this person or that.
I would say this to those who are Christ centered as I. We already should have that viewpoint. They do need more than you. You should be second. Christ is first. They need Christ first. God knows the needs of His special ones. He wants those to be able to serve them in kindness. They are certainly out there. Give them the opportunity to do such. It will bring blessings upon them. While they bring blessings upon you. Do not try and shoulder all of it. God did not mean for that do be. We all have ways to bless through serving others. Sometimes paperwork is required, ok most of the time. Sometimes it is not. When you get that said paperwork know that can mean hope, kindness and opportunity. Where desperation lies instead. Take up the pen.
Blessings,
Kandi
No comments:
Post a Comment