This post is for my Christian friends. I am approaching this subject from that mind set. I have had a heavy weight on my heart. I am noticing a very scary trend when it comes to how we want to be healthy. I am going to first say that I am all for finding the best possible way to be as healthy as you can be. I have had 8 knee surgeries just so I can walk more comfortably. I also take a supplement that I will give away gold nuggets for: Butterbur. That supplement has helped me with my migraines to the point where I rarely get them. I still have them but they are greatly reduced. Sometimes we get to the point where we think that if we live a certain way or do certain things we can avoid stuff that really is not avoidable.
I want to address Autism. It has many, many symptoms the list is long. It is a diagnosis that is done with a series of psychological that changes on a yearly basis. What I mean by this is someone who might have been on the edge of a Autism diagnosis last year might not get one this year. Vice Versa. It is not a very clear precise method. A lot of the time it takes a lot of doctors and years to get a diagnosis right. It is a neurological disorder. It is something that effects the brain. It is most likely a genetic disorder. In most cases a genetic defect is found in these cases. In fact I highly recommend if you have a diagnosis of autism in the family to get that done. Can we help Autism with medicine, better diet and therapy? Can these children be highly functional with these things? The answer is yes. Can we cure them? NO. It is so easy to go down that wormhole. My child like many other autistic children can make drastic gains in certain periods. I believe this is how her brain is growing. It grows new pathways it is able to start communicating better. We work hard everyday for her to be the best she can be. It does me no good to think I can cure her. I know because I was a teenager looking for a cure once.
I so desperately wanted to find a cure for my migraines. I wanted them to just stop. I did all the diet changes. I tried the supplements at the time. I went to chiropractors. I went to anybody that thought they could tackle my migraines. This was when I was a teenager. My mother thought she could find something that would stop them. All of this just made me miserable. All I could think about was:migraines, migraines, migraines. It was enough to give you a headache. It wasn't until I made my peace with the fact that the world is full of sin. The world is a toxic place. There is nothing I could do about it. My heart was empty in need. When I stopped searching for a cure and started trusting Christ I was at peace. I am at peace with the fact that I have chronic pain. I do live a healthy lifestyle. I am just not going to obsess with it. I know I am not going to rid this world of sin. So I will struggle in this world because that is what sin causes. Thinking that I can cure that is pure idolatry.
Is it healthy for me to be desperate to find a cure so I can change my daughter? Is it healthy for her to see that? No. She is going to grow up thinking she is less. Less than I am. I refuse to let that happen. She is what God wants us to see. A person who is weak, needing that He can do His most with. Is there anybody that God uses that is not a weak vessel? The answer is no. We are all weak. We can get ourselves wrapped up in how much healthier we can be if we do this and that. That is wonderful. I think taking care of ones body is great. As long as we are looking to Christ to cure us. As long as He is your medicine for all your weaknesses. Otherwise we have lost our way and need to find the Only Way.
Very powerful Kandi. So true. We do want to take care of our physical bodies but not turn good health into our god. And God does use 'weakness' to glorify Him. You've really proved that.
ReplyDelete