Sharon has Autism. A lot of things spider web off of that. When someone is autistic they might have a wide range of disorders. Sharon has social dysfunction, OCD and speech delay. These are the main reasons for her diagnosis. Underlying these disorders are several others. Sharon has Motor coordination disorder which means that she has a hard time getting her brain to tell her body what to do. Hyperacusis is an acute sense of hearing. She has learning disabilities. She also has muscular dystrophy, another name for low muscle tone. There are several other diagnosis that go along with autism but these are Sharon's issues. Sometimes you have children that cannot speak but do not have social dysfunction. They know how to function in society they are just unable to speak. Sometimes they will not have the OCD. It is not very common but I have seen it. That is one of Sharon's biggest struggles, the OCD. Low muscle tone along with bad motor coordination makes it hard for Sharon. Getting up and off of things is very difficult. Most of her learning difficulties come from motor coordination. She might know it in her brain but she can't get her body to say it or do it. That happens more often than not. She is thinking of a P and writes a D. She will see what a picture is and be thinking about something completely different. So she talks about what she is thinking about. Sharon also thinks in a picture based reality. If she can't picture it in her head she probably does not understand it. Her fall back is her memory which is much better than a normal persons. She files situations away and retrieves them when necessary. It is very difficult to explain something abstract to Sharon. When she gets something though she gets it. Sharon needs time to process things. It is hard because the things that take us milliseconds takes her a minute or so. As someone who is not autistic, I have no understanding of that. I try but it is one of those things that I can't be in her shoes.
One might ask the question: With all this going on how does one function? We should ask that question about a lot of things. It is hard to fathom being blind when you have sight. Being deaf when you can hear. These things are hard to understand. How can someone go through the day in a wheelchair and be happy? I really don't have to search very far to see if my daughters are happy. They are probably the happiest people I know. It isn't because they don't know they have problems. It is because they move past them. Their lives are have no less value than mine. In fact, sometimes I feel as though they are doing more than I have ever done. It is written:
"As He passed by, he saw a man blind from birth. And His disciples asked Him,"Rabbi who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?" Jesus answered,"It was not that this man sinned, or his parents, but that the works of God might be displayed in him." John9:1-3
I pray that we all of are full of joy. Joy that what our journey brings is so that the works of God might displayed it that path. God Bless.
No comments:
Post a Comment